Preparing for Your Hospital Stay
We know a hospital stay means leaving the comforts of home, the security of family and friends, and leaving your health in the hands of others. At San Jose Medical Center, we want to make your stay is as pleasant and safe as possible. We understand that not all hospital admissions allow time to “pre-plan.” However, when your situation allows, the following are some suggestions to consider when being admitted to the hospital.
We encourage you to bring the following items with you to the hospital:
- Advance Directives (i.e., A Living Will or Healthcare Surrogate information) – if you have any
- Kaiser ID card, Organ Donor card (if you have one), ID card and/or Driver’s License
- A list of your medications (include supplements like vitamins, over the counter medications and herbals)
- A list of any allergies to food, medicines, or other items
- The telephone number of an emergency contact person (a friend or relative)
- Personal items (All items can be provided by the hospital, but depending upon how long you plan to be with is and for your personal comfort, you may wish to bring your pajamas, toothbrush, comb, etc.)
- Other equipment (You should bring with you all crutches, walkers, and other items that you will need to use post operatively, unless otherwise instructed.)
Please leave the following items at home:
- Valuables (watches, jewelry, money, cell phones, credit cards, etc.)
- Medications (vitamins, over the counter medications, herbals, etc.)
- Plug-in electrical appliances (such as razors or curling irons)
- Food or snacks
- San Jose Medical Center is a non-smoking facility
- It is best for small children or family/visitors who are not feeling well to stay at home.
We want you and your family members to be well informed about the care and services provided to you while you are a patient at Kaiser Permanente San Jose. Please feel free to ask questions. Do not agree to accept any procedure, treatment, or medication without understanding the need for it.
Co-pays or deductibles (if applicable) can be collected at the time of admission or discharge from the hospital. You may speak to a financial counselor before, during, or after your admission to the hospital by calling 408-361-2190. Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m., Sunday available from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., closed Saturday.
Once you arrive:
We encourage you to utilize our valet parking services, located in the front of the hospital on our main driveway and on the side of our hospital in front of the Emergency Room.
Once you have secured a parking location go directly to the Admitting Department, in order to be registered by one of our knowledgeable Admitting staff members.
The Admitting Department is located in the Hospital, Main Floor Lobby, and is open 24 hours.
Before you depart:
On your day of discharge please make arrangements with your family to pick you up and talk to your physician about departing by 1:00 p.m..