In the news
KP West LA will host its National Drug Take Back Day event on Saturday, October 27, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. It is an event where the public can drop off their expired, unwanted or unused prescription medications to be disposed of properly.
What to expect:
- Free, drive-through drop-off service
- Pharmacists available for consultation
- Free giveaways
Please share this flyer with your family, friends and community.
Kaiser Permanente’s Medicare health plan in Southern California received the highest rating from the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA), a national group that rates health plans for consumer experience, prevention and treatment.
In a report published today, NCQA Health Insurance Plan Ratings 2018-19, Kaiser Permanente’s Medicare health plan in Southern California was rated 5 out of 5. Kaiser Permanente’s commercial health plans in Northern and Southern California received a 4.5 rating. There is no commercial plan in California rated higher than Kaiser Permanente.
“These ratings reflect our level of expert specialty care and service to our 4.5 million members in Southern California,” said Julie Miller-Phipps, president, Kaiser Permanente Southern California region. “The measure of this success is attributed to the commitment of Kaiser Permanente’s physicians and care teams who are focused on keeping our members healthy through consistent preventive care and excellent medical treatment.
The Kaiser Permanente West Los Angeles Center for Healthy Living and Wise and Healthy Aging will continue their partnership to train health leaders from local faith-based organizations to conduct ongoing “Healthier Living with Chronic Conditions” workshops at their place of worship, as part of an ongoing commitment to improving the health of those in the communities that we serve.
The next series of four-day trainings will be hosted in Pasadena beginning October 4, and in Los Angeles beginning November 7.
As part of the evidence-based program, two representatives from each faith-based organization are required to attend all four days of training sessions hosted by Kaiser Permanente and Wise and Healthy Aging. After completing the training, each organization is provided with all the necessary educational materials and giveaways to host its own healthy living workshops. The trainings cover such topics as stress management, healthy eating, exercise programs, and effective communication with health care providers – all in relation to managing chronic conditions.
In order to take part in the “Healthier Living with Chronic Conditions” training sessions, faith-based organizations (FBOs) must:
- Be located in KP West LA’s service area (which includes South and West Los Angeles) and surrounding communities.
- Have leadership that is interested in promoting ongoing health initiatives at their facilities.
- Have two health leaders that will take part in the four-day training series and commit to teaching workshops in the future.
Information about the next series of trainings is below (attendance for all four days is required):
Pasadena - October 4, 5, 11, and 12, 2018
9 am – 4:30 pm
Parsons West Annex
74 N. Pasadena Avenue
Pasadena, CA 91103
Baldwin Hills-Crenshaw - November 7, 8, 14 and 15, 2018
9 am – 4:30 pm
Oasis Baldwin Hills
Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza, Third Floor, Macy’s
4005 Crenshaw Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90008
For information or to sign up for the training, contact :
Miriam Caiden, Director - Community Aging Resources and Education
WISE & Healthy Aging
(310) 394-9871, ext. 264
KP West LA will host several CalFresh/Medi-Cal Enrollment Days at our weekly Farmers Market on August 22, and September 26. Representatives from the Los Angeles Department of Public Social Services (DPSS) will be on hand to answer questions and enroll qualified individuals. Use your electronic-benefit transfer (EBT) card at the farmers market and receive up to $10 in extra coupons to spend on fruits and vegetables. Medi-Cal enrollment is also available.
What: CalFresh/Medi-Cal Enrollment Days
When: Wednesdays – August 22 & September 26
Where: KP West LA Medical Center, Courtyard
Please bring the following items with you:
- Personal identification such as your driver’s license or identification card.
- Social security number
- Verification of income/assets/expenses
- Verification of citizenship or legal residency/sponsorship for residency.
- KP West LA will host several CalFresh/Medi-Cal Enrollment Days at our weekly Farmers Market on August 22, and September 26. Representatives from the Los Angeles Department of Public Social Services (DPSS) will be on hand to answer questions and enroll qualified individuals. Use your electronic-benefit transfer (EBT) card at the farmers market and receive up to $10 in extra coupons to spend on fruits and vegetables. Medi-Cal enrollment is also available. For more details, please see this flyer.