Healthy & safe relationship
At every stage of your life, you deserve to have a safe and healthy relationship that looks like this:
- You and your partner treat each other with respect
- You communicate what you want, and what you don’t want. Remember, “no” means NO
- You and your partner never hit or threaten one another
- You and your partner are supportive of each other and don’t put each other down with hurtful remarks
- You and your partner don’t try to control each other
It’s never OK for someone to hurt you or your children or to threaten you or make you feel afraid. Don’t let anyone tell you that violence against you is your fault; it is not your fault.
You are not alone in facing family violence; there are many people who understand what you’re going through and want to help. If anything about your relationship makes you feel you’re in danger, tell your doctor or another person you can trust or call 1-800-799-SAFE (7233), toll-free, 24 hours a day.
For your safety in an emergency, immediately call the police, a domestic violence hotline, or a local women’s shelter.
Click on Kaiser Permanente Family Violence Prevention Program for help in ending family violence and abuse.