Other medicines that may help manage symptoms
- Antidepressants can relieve hot flashes, irritability, or mood swings if they are your only perimenopausal symptom.
- Clonidine is a good choice if hot flashes are your only perimenopausal symptom, especially if you have high blood pressure.
- Gabapentin may lower the number and intensity of your hot flashes.
- Black cohosh may reduce or prevent hot flashes, depression, and anxiety. Have regular checkups when taking HT or black cohosh.
- Soy may even out hot flashes and other perimenopausal symptoms. Soy isoflavone (rather than soy protein) may be helpful for hot flash treatment.
By Betty Shen, MD - Published November 3, 2015