Want to ace your back-to-school routine? Pencil in the required shots.
School supplies. Haircuts. New shoes. These are all part of your child’s back-to-school ritual. And (not so) lucky for you, this annual tradition comes with a hefty to-do list. Here’s an item to add to the top — your child’s immunizations.
Immunizations protect your child, your family, and your community against serious, preventable diseases. And California law now requires certain immunizations before a child can attend daycare or school. This means you should make sure your child is up-to-date on immunizations prior to the first day of school.
So, what’s the easiest way to make sure your family is ready before the first school bell rings? Consider this your cheat sheet:
1) Check your child’s records.
- Go to the “My health manager” section of kp.org to check your child’s health records and see if he or she is due for shots or a checkup.
- If you are not able to access your child’s records online, please call our Appointment and Advice line at the location nearest you to see if your child is up-to-date.
2) Get caught up, if needed.
- If your child is due for immunizations only, you can drop by any Kaiser Permanente facility from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays. No appointment is necessary.
- If your child also needs a checkup, please schedule an appointment with your child’s doctor soon.
Find more information on immunizations, plus details on California’s current immunization law below.
Want to learn more? Click here.