Want to ace your back-to-school routine? Pencil in the required shots.
School supplies. Haircuts. New shoes. These are all part of your child’s back-to-school ritual. And (not so) lucky for you, this annual tradition comes with a hefty to-do list. Here’s an item to add to the top — your child’s immunizations.
Immunizations protect your child, your family, and your community against serious, preventable diseases. And California law now requires certain immunizations before a child can attend daycare or school. This means you should make sure your child is up-to-date on immunizations prior to the first day of school.
So, what’s the easiest way to make sure your family is ready before the first school bell rings? Consider this your cheat sheet:
1) Check your child’s records.
- Go to the “Preventive Health Reminders” section of kp.org/mydoctor to see if he or she is due for shots or a well-check (checkup). You can also print a copy of the record for school.
- If you are not able to access your child’s records online, please call our Appointment and Advice line at 1-866-454-8855 to see if your child is up-to-date.
2) Get caught up, if needed.
- If your child is due for immunizations only, you can drop by any Kaiser Permanente medical center from between the hours of 9 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. or 2 and 5 p.m. on weekdays. No appointment is necessary.
- If your child also needs a well-check, please schedule an appointment with your child’s doctor soon.
3) We help you remember.
- Download our Northern California Preventive Care App.* We’ll send personal reminders when your child is due for immunizations and well-checks.
*This feature is available to Kaiser Permanente members who are authorized to act on their child’s behalf. Still need to set up access to act for your child online? Visit kp.org/familyhealth.
Find more information on immunizations, plus details on California’s current immunization law below.
Want to learn more? Click here.