Planning to be away from home? We’ve got you covered.

APR 06, 2016
  • Share this:
  • Linkedin

Going on a weekend getaway, a long journey, or leaving for college? Here’s how to get the care you may need while you’re away.


Before you go …


  • Get our KP app to stay connected when you’re on the go.
  • Get routine care and make sure your immunizations are up-to-date, including your yearly flu shot.
  • Refill your eligible prescriptions to have enough while you’re away. Be sure to refill at least 1 week before your trip so there’s time to process your request.
  • Consult your doctor if you need to manage a condition during your trip.
  • Print a summary of your online medical record in case you don’t have Internet access while you’re traveling.
  • Sign on to to see your home area health information and email your Kaiser Permanente doctor from anywhere, anytime.
  • Save the Away from Home Travel Line number to your phone so it’s easy to find: 951-268-3900 (TTY 711). Our travel team will be happy to help you 24/7.

 When you’re away…


Healthy tips:


  • For help deciding what to do when you have an illness or injury, call one of our specially trained advice nurses.
  • If you have any nonurgent questions, you can email your doctor’s office.
  • In some regions and for certain health conditions, you can request telephone and video visits for care. Check with your doctor’s office before travel to find out if telephone and video visits are available to you.

Getting care in a Kaiser Permanente service area:


  • Visit a Kaiser Permanente location. Find locations by visiting or calling the Away from Home Travel Line.

Getting care outside a Kaiser Permanente service area (United States/Outside of the United States):


  • You’re covered for urgent or emergency care anywhere in the world.* Go to the nearest hospital or any facility that can give you the care you need.
  • Make sure to keep all receipts and documentation.

 After you’re back…


Filing a Claim:


If you pay for urgent or emergency care while you’re away from home, you’ll need to file a claim for reimbursement. You’ll also need to give us:


    • An itemized bill or other documentation for services
    • A copy of medical records (as far as they are available to you)
    • Proof of payment
    • Proof of travel (like travel tickets, boarding passes, and a copy of passport stamps) if you got care outside the United States

 Still have questions?


For a full list of steps to take before, during, and after your trip away from home, call the Away from Home Travel Line: 951-268-3900 (TTY 711) or go to


*If you reasonably believe you have an emergency medical condition, which is a medical or psychiatric condition that requires immediate medical attention to prevent serious jeopardy to your health, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency department or any facility that can give you the care you need. For the complete definition of an emergency medical condition, please refer to your Evidence of Coverage (EOC), Certificate of Insurance, or Summary Plan Description (SPD).


TOPICSemergency carelocationsservicetravel