College and health coverage: What you need to know

JUN 30, 2016
  • Share this:
  • Linkedin

Whether you or a family member is headed to college, an internship, or another opportunity, preparing to live away from home means a long to-do list. Does yours include health coverage?


Good health can help you succeed no matter where you go. That’s why health coverage is an important part of your planning. Before you go, let’s explore how you can get ready for a healthy experience as a Kaiser Permanente member.


1. See if your school is in a Kaiser Permanente service area


There are Kaiser Permanente locations in California, Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Maryland, Oregon, Virginia, Washington, and Washington D.C. You can get most of the same services you would get in your home area when living temporarily in another Kaiser Permanente service area.* Find our facilities at


If you’re outside our service area or studying abroad, don’t worry — you’re still covered for urgent and emergency care anywhere in the world. However, you’re not covered for routine services received from non-Plan providers — like checkups, preventive screenings, and flu shots. Be sure to look into signing up for a student health plan or international travel coverage through your college. This can help you cover out-of-pocket costs and get additional benefits. Contact your school for more information.


2. Register on to stay connected


Whether you’re road-tripping on spring break or traveling to another country, it’s easy to keep in touch with your care team while you’re away.


By registering on, you can connect with your doctor’s office by email and access your medical record — all in one place. You can also download the Kaiser Permanente app to manage your health on the go.


3. Plan ahead so you have what you need

A little planning makes a big difference. Here are a few easy ways to prepare for a healthy college career:


  • Get your immunizations up-to-date. Check if your school requires any vaccines you don’t already have.
  • Refill your prescriptions, including contact lenses. Be sure to order refills at least 1 or 2 weeks before you need them so there’s time to process your request.
  • If you’re managing a health condition, check in with your doctor before you go.

To learn more about your care and coverage while you’re away, call the 24/7 Away from Home Travel Line at 951-268-3900 (TTY 711) or visit


*Dependent students under a Kaiser Permanente Colorado health plan may be eligible for out-of-area routine care. Visit for more information.

If your home area is Hawaii, please refer to your Evidence of Coverage for information on this benefit. You can view your Evidence of Coverage online at

If you have a medical emergency in the United States, call 911 or go to the nearest hospital. Outside of the United States, go to the nearest facility that can provide the care you need.

This number can be dialed from both inside and outside the U.S. Outside, you must dial the U.S. country code “001” for landlines and “+1” for mobile before the phone number. Long-distance charges may apply and we cannot accept collect calls. Phone line is closed major holidays (New Year’s Day, Easter, Memorial Day, July Fourth, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas), and closes early the day before a holiday at 10 p.m. Pacific time (PT). The phone line reopens the day after a holiday at 4 a.m. PT.

TOPICSadult dependentaway from homecarecoveragestudenttravel