20 ways to cut 100 calories
Small changes add up to big results. Each of these ideas can save about 100 calories — and you won’t feel like you’re missing out.
- Ask that your pizza be made with half the cheese.
- Choose a broth-based soup instead of cream based.
- Choose a red sauce instead of a cream sauce on pasta.
- Choose steamed rice rather than fried rice.
- Cook with a nonstick spray instead of butter or margarine.
- Leave 10 French fries on your plate.
- Leave the cheese off your sandwich.
- Make your tuna or chicken salad with fat-free mayonnaise or hummus.
- Order salad dressing on the side, and dip your fork before each bite.
- Remove the top piece of bread from your sandwich.
- Replace crunchy taco shells with soft corn tortillas.
- Replace 1 cup of pasta with 2 cups of steamed vegetables.
- a cup of sparkling water with lime instead of juice.
- Skip the refill on your soda or lemonade.
- Switch to nonfat milk in your latte.
- Top pancakes or waffles with fresh fruit instead of butter and syrup.
- Top chicken or fish with salsa or herbs rather than butter or cheese.
- Top your frozen yogurt with fresh berries instead of candy toppings.
- Use nonfat, plain yogurt instead of sour cream on your baked potato.
- Wrap up part of your dinner for tomorrow’s lunch.
Reviewed by: Keith Bachman, MD and Trina Histon, PhD, August 2013
Additional Kaiser Permanente reviewers
©2013 Kaiser Permanente