Advanced Sports Medicine Care
Treating pros and prospects side by side
There’s a reason that Kaiser Permanente is your trusted authority in sports medicine. Our unique integrated care model enables instant collaboration between our physicians and care teams, and is specifically designed to lead to quicker diagnoses, more efficient treatment, and faster recoveries.
Kaiser Permanente Sports Medicine provides advanced care not just for athletes, but for anyone who enjoys physical activity, helping you get back to the top of your game or simply back to the active life that you enjoy. We’re here to help you thrive.
Treatment methods and specialties
Our board-certified, fellowship-trained sports medicine physicians, both surgical and medical, work as a team to diagnose and treat injuries related to sports or recreational activities.
At its core, sports medicine focuses on members who sustain acute and chronic musculoskeletal injury while actively engaged in exercise, other physical activity, or competitive sports. Our expert care isn’t limited to amateur and professional athletes who exercise, train, and compete. Our specialty care is also for individuals who experience more common injuries that come from sports or other everyday activities and desire excellent, holistic care that will improve their ability to live an active life.
Injuries are thoroughly addressed by our team of orthopedic surgeons, physicians, and physical therapists, who work as a team to provide a full spectrum of care with you at the center.
- Diagnosis of injuries and disorders of bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, muscles, and nerves (musculoskeletal system)
- Preoperative, operative, and postoperative treatment with exercise, medication, casting, surgery, or other options
- Collaboration between surgical and medical specialists for injury prevention and rehabilitation to restore movement, strength, and function
- Surgical expertise for complex cases such as Tommy John surgery and meniscal transplant
- Musculoskeletal ultrasound
- Concussion care
- ACL functional movement and pre-exercise screenings
- Evaluation and management plan for acute/chronic musculoskeletal injuries
- Sport-specific return to function
- Overhead throwing rehabilitation
- Corrective exercise treatment plan
- Quick and easy referrals from primary care and within our team
- Seamless coordination of care between imaging, medical care, and physical therapy
- Sport or activity-specific treatment plans and approaches to meet your unique needs
Maximize Athletic Performance with the Endurance Lab
The Kaiser Permanente Endurance Lab at Golden 1 Center in Sacramento offers advanced physiological and biomechanical assessments that can be used to help improve your fitness and athletic performance. A variety of services are available to both members and non-members that can be tailored based on your personal goals.
Our board-certified and fellowship-trained sports medicine physicians specialize in orthopedic surgery, physical medicine and rehabilitation, family medicine, pediatrics, and emergency medicine. Complemented by physical therapists, certified athletic trainers, and radiology technologists, we have one of the largest and most comprehensive Sports Medicine practices in the country.
We’re the trusted team physicians for the Sacramento Kings and San Jose Sharks.
“The sports medicine care I received was a game changer for me,” says Catherine Dubay, a lifelong runner and marathon competitor who sought care of a hip injury. “It has made a dramatic difference in my life and allowed me to get back to what I enjoy doing.”
We provide convenient access to sports medicine care in many of our Northern California facilities.
Our services are anchored by the Sports Medicine Center in Golden 1 Center, home of the Sacramento Kings. In the fall of 2019, we will be opening a second Sports Medicine Center in our Mission Bay Medical Office in San Francisco.
Discover the Kaiser Permanente difference
Stay up to date with Kaiser Permanente
1 Sports medicine services are exclusively for members and by referral only. Please speak with your primary care provider regarding a referral