VOLUNTEERING AT KAISER PERMANENTE SAN DIEGO
YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
Do you want to make a difference in the lives of others? As a volunteer for Kaiser Permanente you will have the opportunity to make new friends, develop new skills, and most of all, receive the joy and satisfaction that comes from helping others. Volunteers are a vital component in helping us to deliver exceptional and compassionate patient care.
Who are our volunteers?
Our volunteer family is a unique blend of community members. They include retirees, empty-nesters, college students and people who just have a heart for giving.
What do they do?
Greet guests and patients, provide wheelchair and directional assistance, warm the soul with a blanket or some socks, comfort nervous family members and keep them informed and so much more.
When do they volunteer?
Volunteering can fit into just about anyone’s schedule. We offer volunteer shifts 7 days per week with morning, afternoon, evening and some late evening shifts to choose from. If you join our team, we will ask you to commit to one full year of service, within a regular weekly schedule and assignment. Most shifts are scheduled for four hours per week.
Where do they volunteer?
Volunteers serve in a variety of departments at both hospitals in San Diego and in many of our larger medical office facilities. Departments currently utilizing volunteers include: Information Services, Surgical Waiting, Pre/Post Op, Urgent Care, Emergency Department, In-Patient nursing units, Pediatrics as well as some other unique specialty services.
What are the requirements for volunteering?
- Commit to serving for one full year, once per week, same day and time, for approximately four hours per shift.
- Commit to maintaining an 85% attendance rate (miss no more than 8-10 shifts per year).
- Complete and submit an application.
- Attend an interview with the Director or Assistant Director of Volunteer Services and complete required paperwork.
- Complete a health screening which includes immunization review, TB testing and influenza vaccination provided at no cost by Kaiser Permanente.
- Submit personal information for a background check provided at no cost by Kaiser Permanente.
- Read our New Volunteer Handbook and attend a 3-hour New Volunteer Orientation
- Attend a 4-hour facility training and orientation at your specific volunteer location.
- Complete initial training once placed into a specific department and maintain annual training if you stay with us past one-year.
READY TO TAKE THE NEXT STEP?
We hope you are excited to jump into an exceptional volunteer experience, serve your community and reap
the rewards that volunteering brings. Download the application here or contact the Volunteer Services Department at 858-266-2675 if you have more questions.
JUNIOR VOLUNTEER PROGRAM
(for High School Students age 16 and 17)
2019 SUBMISSION WINDOW HAS CLOSED – The application period for Summer 2020 will open in January 2020
KP San Diego Junior Volunteer Program runs for 8 weeks each summer generally starting in mid June and ending in mid August.
Students in the program will be trained to serve as a Medical Center or Medical Office Guest Guide. In this role, they will offer directions, answer common questions, escort patients and provide wheelchair assistance to those in need. Each student will be partnered with an experienced volunteer who will provide mentorship, encouragement and support. If students demonstrate enthusiasm, reliability, good customer service skills and initiative during this time, they will be invited to continue as a permanent volunteer and will have opportunities to explore other volunteer positions.
Interested students must submit a Junior application by the March deadline (2020 still TBD). They will be invited to a group interview and if they are chosen to participate will need to complete a health screening and New Volunteer Orientation. Due to space limitations, not all students will be invited to participate. Neat, thorough and complete applications are critical to being invited for the interview process.