Our Genetic Counselors
Genetic counselors are health care professionals with specialized graduate degrees and experience in the areas of medical genetics and counseling. Our genetic counselors are certified by the American Board of Genetic Counselors and are licensed in California. Genetic counselors may become a part of your health care team if you have a family history of birth defects, genetic disorders, or may have an increased chance of developing or passing on a genetic or inherited condition.
For more information, please visit NSGC.
Genetic counselors are experts who can evaluate your medical history, family history, ancestry and other factors to determine the chance that you or your children will have a genetic condition. Based on their evaluation they decide when genetic tests are appropriate, which tests to order, and then interpret the meaning of the results for you and your family members. Genetic counselors understand the emotions involved with genetic testing and are here to support you, whatever the results.
- Collect detailed family histories to assess the chance that you or your baby may have or may inherit a genetic disorder
- Decide what tests may or may not be indicated to make a diagnosis
- Interpret your genetic test results and what they might mean for you and/or your baby
- Recommend appropriate follow-up medical care
- Empower and support families in making medical decisions that reflect their personal values and cultural beliefs
- Address your questions and concerns