COVID-19 Information and Visitor Policy for Kaiser Permanente in Northern California
As part of our commitment to protect our patients and staff, and to prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have implemented the following in our facilities:
Anyone entering our facilities must wear a mask over their nose and mouth, regardless of vaccination status.
Anyone entering our hospital and surgical settings in our facilities will encounter temperature checkpoints. If you are found to have an elevated temperature you will be provided further instruction.
Potential visitors should stay home if they feel sick. Those entering our medical office buildings or other clinic locations will be prompted to self-screen for COVID-19 symptoms and provided direction if they have symptoms.
Visitor restrictions are in effect for all our facilities and correspond directly to the CDC-published COVID-19 transmission rates in the county that our hospitals are located and are based on 3 levels of transmission rates: substantial, high, or low.
Per a health order from the state of California, hospital or skilled nursing facility visitors must provide proof of full vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours in order to enter these facilities to visit/accompany a patient. This is not applicable to those visiting lab, pharmacy or radiology, or those visiting critical condition and imminently dying patients. Limited exceptions for essential support persons.
Please call ahead prior to visiting our facilities if you have questions.
- Find acceptable proof of vaccination options.
- Schedule a vaccine appt.
- Request a COVID-19 test with Kaiser Permanente or find other locations where you can get tested.
Hospital and Emergency Department Visitation:
Emergency Department Visitation
1 visitor allowed at a time
No visitors, except for groups listed below – up to 2 visitors
- Hospice or end of life patients
- Patients with disabilities (physical, intellectual, cognitive impairments and/or developmental disabilities)
- Surgical patients (recovery and discharge)
Medical Office Buildings and Clinics
1 support person in the exam room* for the following reasons:
- Pediatric patients (2 adults if multiple children have appointments)
- Patients with disabilities, language, or emotional support needs
- Patients having an OB ultrasound (*Visitors not with the patient in the exam room must wait outside the clinic)
Visitor Guidelines for All Facilities:
- Maintain all safety precautions: masking, social distancing, hand washing, and instructions from staff.
- Hospital visitor hours: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
COVID-19 vaccinations are recommended and available for members and nonmembers. For more information go to kp.org/COVID-19
- Masks required at all times, even if you are vaccinated
- Symptom screening of all visitors (hospital, ED, surgery)
- No visitors with COVID-19 symptoms or suspected COVID-19
- Stay home if you are sick
- Visitors should limit movement in the facility
- No eating or drinking in patients’ rooms
- Visitors under 18 must be accompanied by an adult
- Consider asking if a virtual visit is possible
- Additional visitor guidelines are available at kp.org/COVID-19