Bariatric Surgery Center
Kaiser Permanente South San Francisco is home to our Bariatric Services Center, which provides specialized care to severely obese Kaiser Permanente members from around Northern California.
Our Center’s team of experts is dedicated to providing the highest level of care, preparation, surgery, and post-recovery care possible.
Weight loss surgery is a treatment option for people with severe obesity who cannot lose weight by traditional means, or who suffer from serious obesity-related health problems. The surgery reduces the size of the patient’s stomach. Patients are accepted into the program by referral from their primary care physician only.
The Center’s program provides:
- Extensive pre-testing and evaluation, physical / medical, dietary, and psychological
- Extensive patient education and support prior to surgery
- A hospital facility (operating rooms and inpatient rooms) equipped for their needs
- A team of highly trained surgeons, nurses, nutritionists, and physical therapists who are all experts in treating these special patients
- Long-term post-surgery support and assistance to maintain healthy eating and activity.
Members who wish to investigate weight loss surgery should attend this class: “Introduction to Weight Loss Surgery, Preparing for Success,” and then set up an appointment with their primary care physician to discuss the surgery and request a referral to the program. Health Education can be reached at 650-742-2439.
To learn more about weight loss surgery and its risks and benefits:
- Check with the Health Education Center for books, videos, and classes
- Visit Kaiser Permanente’s site for health living: kp.org/healthyliving.