Do you have concerns about falling?
Kaiser Permanente Trauma Department holds A Matter of Balance classes throughout the year.
Many older adults experience concerns about falling and restrict their activities. A Matter of Balance is an award-winning program designed to manage falls and increase activity levels.
This program is FREE to the community and emphasizes practical strategies to manage falls.
You will learn to:
- View falls as controllable
- Set goals for increasing activity
- Make changes to reduce fall risks at home
- Exercise to increase strength, and balance
Who should attend:
- Anyone concerned about falls
- Anyone interested in improving balance, flexibility, and strength
- Anyone who has fallen in the past
- Anyone who has restricted activities because of falling concerns.
To get on the list for the upcoming fall prevention classes, please reach out to Ana Van Engelen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 916-203-2012. Or check the Sacramento County website for classes in the Sacramento area: Stop-Falls-Sacramento-Coalition (saccounty.gov).
Other fall prevention information and resources:
- According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), one in four adults over 65 will fall each year.
- Falls are preventable and not a normal part of aging.
- Falls are the leading cause of injury and death in seniors 65+.
- Daily strength and balance exercises can help keep you and loved ones safe, mobile, and active.
- Falls with or without serious injury can place a heavy burden on your quality of life and may jeopardize safety and independence.
- Kaiser Permanente Trauma supports fall prevention classes facilitated through the Sacramento Ballet and the YMCA of Greater Sacramento.
- The Sacramento Ballet holds a dance-based movement class intended to help improve and maintain balance and overall health.
- Additionally, a partnership with the YMCA offers fall prevention education in senior living facilities and community centers in South Sacramento and on site at the YMCA. These classes are all open to the public.
- Article: Fall Prevention – Thoughts of a Trauma Nurse, by Barbara Duffy, RN, MSN, an Eskaton Guest Blogger and Trauma Clinical Nurse Specialist at Kaiser Permanente South Sacramento.
- View a Kaiser Permanente 3 part video on fall prevention.
- More Tips to Prevent Falls
National and Local Fall Prevention Resources:
- CDC: Important Facts About Falls
- CDC: Keep on your feet
- National Institute on Aging: Fall prevention resources
- National Council on Aging: Fall prevention tips for older adults & caregivers
- NCOA Falls Free Checkup: Check to see if you’re at risk for falling with the National Council on Aging’s falls free checkup
Sacramento Area Fall Prevention Resources:
- Agency on Aging/Area 4 Sacramento County: includes fall prevention and other senior resource information
- Rebuilding Together Sacramento: Provides minor home modifications to help prevent falls in the Sacramento area
- Sac County Aging Resources Sac County Aging Resources – Resources Directory (sacagingresources.org)
Kaiser Permanente Sponsored Fall Prevention Resources:
- Sacramento County Department of Health- Sacramento Stop Falls Coalition A Matter of Balance community classes
- The Sacramento Ballet: Information on the Fall Prevention through Movement
- The Sacramento Ballet: Falls Prevention Sign up and Waiver (google.com)
- Sacramento Ballet virtual recorded class
- The YMCA in Mid-town provides fall prevention classes in the Sacramento community
- Kaiser Permanente Resources: 3 part video on fall prevention