Visitor Policy and COVID-19 Information
We have updated the visitation guidance for hospital and ambulatory settings based on the most recent public health order by the CDPH to include the key changes below:
Hospitals and clinics may now allow all patients to have visitors without restriction.
Visitors are no longer required to show proof of vaccination or of negative COVID-19 test result to visit their family or friends in the hospital.
Effective April 3, 2023, per updated guidance from the California Department of Public Health, masks are no longer required at Kaiser Permanente facilities, except where mandated by governmental and regulatory agencies or our local infection prevention experts. Currently, masks are required upon entrance to the hospital and throughout your visit. Patients and visitors should check themselves for common COVID-19 symptoms prior to entering our facilities and can continue to request and voluntarily use masks as a recommended tool to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and other respiratory-like illnesses.
Masks are required upon entrance to the hospital and throughout your visit.
If you don’t have a mask, we will gladly provide one. Please go to the reception desk.
Hospitals may restrict or prohibit visitation on select inpatient units in the case of a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 outbreak in the facility or increased transmission rates. Hospitals choosing to restrict or prohibit visitation must always allow up to two visitors to the special groups as outlined in the CDPH guidelines:
- Pediatric patients
- Labor and Delivery patients
- Patients at End-of-Life
- Surgery patients until taken to prep (visitors may wait in available waiting rooms while patient is being prepared for discharge if they can maintain physical distance from others and remain masked).
- Patients with physical, intellectual, cognitive impairments, and/or developmental disabilities
Hospitals must comply with their counties’ visitation restrictions if stricter than regional guidelines.
Medical Office Buildings and Clinics
Our medical offices and clinics now allow all patients to have companions or support persons without restriction.
Safety precautions for all facilities
- Follow instructions from staff.
- Maintain all safety precautions. Stay home if you are sick.
- No visitors with COVID-19 symptoms or suspected COVID-19.
- No eating or drinking in patient rooms.
- Visitors under 18 may visit if they are able to comply with all infection control measures, during the visit.
- Consider asking if a virtual visit is possible.
- Visit kp.org/covidvaccine for more information about COVID-19 vaccinations.
Please note, these recommendations are subject to change based on new guidance from CDPH and other regulatory agencies, or due to outbreaks or changes in the transmission of COVID-19 in the communities.