< Back

Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly

Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFEs)—sometimes called “Assisted Living” or “Board and Care” facilities—are non-medical facilities that provide a level of care that includes assistance with activities of daily living.

You can search for Assisted Living Facilities in your area by going to the California Department of Social Services Website

California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform (CANHR)

  • Educates consumers about issues related to long-term care.
  • Provides information about Medi-Cal, how to file complaints against nursing homes, elder abuse and neglect, financial abuse and estate planning.
  • Maintains a comprehensive list of nursing facilities throughout California, including information about services provided and complaints.
  • Provides pre-placement counseling and information about California nursing homes and assisted living facilities.
  • Provides referrals to attorneys who specialize in elder law and long-term care issues, including estate planning (especially as relates to Medi-Cal), financial abuse, and neglect and abuse in nursing home and long-term care facilities.

Visit the CANHR Website

Phone: (800) 474-1116 or (415) 974-5171
Fax: (415) 777-2904
Email: canhrmail@canhr.org