Pizza Burgers Recipe
- – 1/3 cup bulgur or quinoa
- – 2/3 cup water
- – 1 1/2 cups cooked white beans (1 15 oz can), drained and rinsed (also can use pinto, black, other beans)
- – 1/4 cup tomato paste
- – 1 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- – 1/2 tsp dried basil
- – 1/3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- – 1 tsp garlic powder
- – 1/4 tsp salt
- – 1/8 tsp pepper
- – 1 medium-sized zucchini or 2 small zucchini
- – 6whole wheat English muffins or whole wheat burger buns
- – 6slices Chao Creamy Original (vegan)or mozzarella cheese
- – ¾ cup marinara sauce
- – Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or use cooking spray.
- – Cook bulgur by boiling the 2/3 cup water and bulgur (or quinoa). Once boiling, cover and turn to lowest setting and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir and set aside.
- – Slice the zucchini into round slices, each about ¼ inch thick. Saute in a hot pan until nicely browned, stirring partway through to make sure both sides browned.
- – Combine the cooked bulgur or quinoa and the rest of the burger ingredients in a mixing bowl and mash with a potato masher (or your hands) until well mixed. Form into 6 patties and arrange on the baking sheet. Bake for 12 min, flip and bake until underside is golden brown (about 5-10 more minutes). Remove from oven.
- – Turn oven to broil. On another sheet pan, arrange English muffin or burger bun halves, cut-side-up. On one half of each bun, put one of the pizza burgers, 1 spoonful of marinara sauce and top with one slice of cheese. On the other side put 1 spoonful of marinara sauce and several slices of the cooked zucchini. Broil until cheese is melted and the halves of the muffins/buns without cheese are warmed.
- – To serve, put the 2 sides of the buns together.