Visitor Policy and COVID-19 Information
We have updated the visitation guidance for hospital and ambulatory settings based on the most recent public health order by the CDPH to include the key changes below:
Hospitals and clinics may now allow all patients to have visitors without restriction.
Visitors are no longer required to show proof of vaccination or of negative COVID-19 test result to visit their family or friends in the hospital.
When the California Department of Public Health guidelines are updated as of April 3, 2023, masks will be recommended but not required in most parts of the medical center. Please adhere to all self-symptom screening required for entry to our facilities as posted at entry points. You may receive a recommendation to wear a KP supplied mask upon entry to facility to improve safety. Signs will be posted in areas where masks are required. Per the Santa Clara County Department of Public Health, during the designated winter virus period, Nov. 1 to March 31 of each year, anyone entering our facilities must continue to wear a well-fitted mask that covers their nose, mouth, and chin, regardless of vaccination status.
Hospitals may restrict or prohibit visitation on select inpatient units in the case of a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 outbreak in the facility or increased transmission rates. Hospitals choosing to restrict or prohibit visitation must always allow up to two visitors to the special groups as outlined in the CDPH guidelines:
- Pediatric patients
- Labor and Delivery patients
- Patients at End-of-Life
- Surgery patients until taken to prep (visitors may wait in available waiting rooms while patient is being prepared for discharge if they can maintain physical distance from others and remain masked).
- Patients with physical, intellectual, cognitive impairments, and/or developmental disabilities
Hospitals must comply with their counties’ visitation restrictions if stricter than regional guidelines.
Medical Office Buildings and Clinics
Our medical offices and clinics now allow all patients to have companions or support persons without restriction.
Safety precautions for all facilities
- Follow instructions from staff.
- Maintain all safety precautions. Stay home if you are sick.
- No visitors with COVID-19 symptoms or suspected COVID-19.
- No eating or drinking in patient rooms.
- Visitors under 18 may visit if they are able to comply with all infection control measures, during the visit.
- Consider asking if a virtual visit is possible.
- Visit kp.org/covidvaccine for more information about COVID-19 vaccinations.
Please note, these recommendations are subject to change based on new guidance from CDPH and other regulatory agencies, or due to outbreaks or changes in the transmission of COVID-19 in the communities.