Lentil Soup Recipe
Plant-based lentil and mixed vegetable soup
This simple soup is easy to make and can include any veggies you have in the fridge or garden.
- 1 teaspoon olive or avocado oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup green beans, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 4 cups raw baby spinach (or kale or chard), chopped
- Sauté onion in oil until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add carrots and celery and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes until browned.
- Add lentils, tomato paste, and cumin. Sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add vegetable broth, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Turn down heat to bring to simmer and cook 20 to 25 minutes or until lentils start getting soft.
- Add green beans and zucchini. Cook for another 10 minutes until they are soft. Add spinach for the last 2 to 3 minutes and cook until wilted.
- Take out 1/3 of the mixture and blend until smooth with an immersion blender, blender, or food processor. Return purée to rest of soup and mix. (The reason I purée 1/3 of the soup is to add creaminess without any butter or cream. You can use this tip for almost any soup.)