The Thrive Kitchen Enters Its Third Year
Kaiser Permanente San Francisco’s healthy cooking program, the Thrive Kitchen, begins its third year of monthly hands-on cooking classes in 2019.
The ground-breaking program was developed by Linda Shiue, MD, an internal medicine physician and professionally trained chef who is also the Director of Culinary Medicine at the San Francisco Medical Center. Dr. Shiue recognized people’s need to reduce the amount of processed food and restaurant meals consumed, so she pioneered the Thrive Kitchen to equip fellow clinicians and patients with the skills to focus on home cooking.
Each class features a different menu of five or six dishes, many inspired by global cuisines, with an emphasis on fresh, seasonal ingredients. The students prepare the dishes and then gather for a meal to taste their handiwork. At the end of the evening, they leave with an assortment of recipes that are simple enough to make at home after a busy day.
The first class of the new year, held on January 9, features soups and salads of the world. February’s class showcases healthy African Heritage cooking, and the March session, “Eat Your Greens,” focuses on delicious meals that incorporate a variety of leafy vegetables and fresh herbs.
The Thrive Kitchen is held monthly at the Mission Bay Medical Office Building, 1600 Owens St., from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. The cost per session, which includes a meal of the recipes and a nutrition Q&A, is $30 for Kaiser Permanente members and $40 for the general public. Registration is available beginning one month prior to class. Call 415-833-3450, or email, SFHealthEd@kp.org.
The Thrive Kitchen Schedule for 2019:
- January 9 – Soups and Salads of the World
- February 13 – Healthy African Heritage Cooking
- March 13 – Eat Your Greens!
- April 10 – Spring Vegetables
- May 8 – Healthy Asian Cooking
- June 12 – Mediterranean Picnic
- July 10 – Spanish Summer: Gazpacho and Tapas
- August 14 – Back to School Lunch and Easy Weeknight Cooking
- September 11 – ¡Taco Bar! Healthy Mexican Food
- October 9 – Everything Pumpkin
- November 13 – Creative Thanksgiving Sides
- December 11- Holiday Appetizer Party