Learn healthy cooking at the new Thrive Kitchen
There is a new resource for healthy eating with the arrival of Linda Shiue, MD, the San Francisco Medical Center’s first-ever director of Culinary Medicine. In addition to being an internal medicine physician and seeing patients, Dr. Shiue has launched a hands-on healthy cooking program, “The Thrive Kitchen.” The class is offered monthly at the Mission Bay Medical Offices, 1600 Owens St.
“This program is something different and special that is only offered at the San Francisco Medical Center,” said Dr. Shiue, whose unique background makes her perfectly suited to the new position.
In 2009, Dr. Shiue began writing a food blog, Spice Box Travels, then trained as a chef at the San Francisco Cooking School.
“It’s only by cooking at home that we reduce the amount of processed food we eat, and processed food is the source of many common health problems,” explained Dr. Shiue. “Store-bought food has so much added sugar, fat, salt, and artificial ingredients.”
“The dishes that the students and I will be making during the class will be something you could do on a weeknight within about 30 minutes or so—less time than it would take you to go get takeout,” she said.
Dr. Shiue’s classes will include more than just learning how to cook. She’ll also teach students how to shop and introduce ingredients such as new vegetables and spices. “The reason my blog is called Spice Box Travels is that my cooking is globally influenced by what people eat in other countries,” said Dr. Shiue.
The Thrive Kitchen is offered one Tuesday a month from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at 1600 Owens St. Each class features a different globally-inspired menu. After cooking, participants will enjoy the meal that they have just prepared and discuss the nutritional benefits.
The cost for members is $30 and $40 for nonmembers, and includes a materials fee. The schedule for 2017:
- Feb. 28 – Cooking for Your Heart and Soul: Celebrating National Heart Month and Healthy African Heritage Cooking
- March 21 – Eat Your Greens
- April 18 – Spring Vegetables
- May 23 – Healthy Chinese Cooking for Asian American History Month
- June 6 – Cooking for College: A Primer
- July 25 – Spanish Summer: Gazpacho and Tapas
- Aug. 22 – Back to School Lunches and Easy Weeknight Cooking
- Sept. 5 – Healthy Mexican Food for Latino Heritage Month
- Oct. 10 – Pumpkin: Not Just for Pie
- Nov. 14 – Thanksgiving: Extreme Makeover (Everything But the Turkey)
- Dec. 5 – Healthy Holiday Feast
To register for the class or get more information, call the Health Education Department, 415-833-3450, or email SFhealthed@kp.org.