Labor and Delivery
Low C-section Rate at our Redwood City Hospital
Kaiser Permanente Medical Center earned a 2019 Maternity and Patient Safety Honor Roll Award given by the California Health and Human Services Agency, the Hospital Quality Institute and Cal Hospital Compare. To receive this award a California hospital must achieve a low cesarean section rate, of 23.9% or lower, for low risk first birth deliveries and has a high patient safety profile. See the honor roll awards at calhospitalcompare.org/programs
About Our Labor and Delivery Department
Our Labor and Delivery unit, Mother/Baby unit, and Nursery provide a friendly and warm environment to support the birthing experiences of families and their new arrivals. We offer the personalized care of experienced certified nurse-midwives for most normal deliveries. Our nursing, lactation, and social services staff will assist with your every need.
We offer numerous resources for parents including:
- Newsletters about preparing for your baby’s arrival and caring for your child at different ages
- Classes such as Newborn Care, Preparing for Childbirth, Breastfeeding, and support groups like ‘Baby and Me’
- Lactation experts to assist mothers and babies
- The Newborn Channel in our hospital rooms
- Newborn care videos which can be watched from your computer
- Watch a video about our Labor & Delivery care, Maternal Child Unit, and Special Care Nursery
|Caring for Your Newborn
A nurse will take your baby for a newborn hearing screening and the state-required California newborn screening blood test that detects metabolic disorders. Also, you may choose to have your son circumcised.
Our Special Care Nursery is available for babies needing extra attention. We offer Neonatal Intensive Care Service units at other nearby medical centers to care for babies born earlier than 34 weeks.