News & Events
Testing plays a major role in fighting COVID-19 — for your health, the health of our communities, and to help safely reopen businesses, schools, and more. As an important part of Kaiser Permanente’s ongoing commitment to our members and communities, we have recently expanded our COVID-19 testing capacity. Members can now self-schedule a COVID-19 test on kp.org through an e-visit. To learn more about COVID-19 testing, click here.
To help ensure patient safety with adequate physical distancing and reduce wait times, we’re now offering appointments for lab visits. When your doctor orders your lab tests, you can use kp.org or the mobile app to schedule a lab appointment at a time that’s convenient for you. Skip the line…book your appointment in advance! Just sign in to kp.org and click on Appointments to get started.
Do you know a child who would like to send a note or drawing to a health care worker? Now you can download and share a special coloring page to get kids started. Completed art can be hand-delivered to any health care provider, emailed to CaringforourCommunity@kp.org, or mailed to KP Public Affairs, 1650 Response Rd., Sacramento, CA 95815. Artwork emailed or mailed to Kaiser Permanente will be distributed to our hospitals.
Kaiser Permanente Statement on Donations of Personal Protective Equipment
March 24, 2020
Kaiser Permanente is grateful for the many individuals, community groups, and local businesses that have inquired about donating supplies, such as gloves, masks, and other items. We greatly appreciate the outpouring of concern and generosity at this unprecedented time.
We are providing our staff with the medical-grade personal protective equipment (PPE) that is aligned with the latest evidence-based science, using the same PPE as other hospital systems in California and across the nation. Procured supplies help us continue to manage our medical equipment prudently and maintain an adequate pipeline so that our teams have what they need when they need it.
Below are several ways that individuals and businesses can support our efforts during this critical time:
Personal Protective Equipment Donations
- Our focus is on working with our supply chain vendors and manufacturers to provide our staff with medical-grade protective equipment (PPE). For those seeking to donate supplies, please see the list of appropriate items below.
- We have set up a national donation network to assist with distributing critical supplies across Kaiser Permanente and other care providers. Please direct any donation offers to KPCOVID-19Donations@kp.org.
- In addition, because we are already receiving donations at some of our Kaiser Permanente medical centers, we have established a process to receive and inspect donations.
- Greeters outside the entrances to our facilities will provide instructions on where to leave donations.
- Prior to use, our staff will inspect all donations to confirm that they meet the appropriate standards for medical use.
Appropriate items to donate:
- Unopened N95 respirators and surgical masks
- Unopened packages of disposable gloves
- Unopened containers of hand sanitizer
- Unopened containers of disinfectants and disinfecting wipes
- Packaged, unused protective goggles
- Unopened swabs for collecting screening samples
- Unopened gowns (surgical and isolation)
- Face shields
- We will accept donations of home-made masks.
- This will help us manage supplies of our medical-grade masks for staff providing direct patient care.
- Even home-made masks need to meet certain specifications in order to be effective. Please see this link for a PDF of instructions to make effective fabric masks.
The safety of our employees, patients, and the community is our top priority. We are grateful for the support of the community and as we closely monitor the progress of this illness, we will adjust our donation practices accordingly.