Member Advisory Council
The Member Advisory Council is made up of Kaiser Permanente members and community representatives who volunteer their time to share their experiences and perspective on the care and service delivered by Kaiser Permanente. Their feedback is very important to help Kaiser Permanente to enhance the quality and service delivery for members, patients and visitors.
The Member Advisory Council engages with Kaiser Permanente leaders and staff. We have established Councils in our Fremont and San Leandro Medical Centers as part of our Patient and Family Centered Care program. The councils meet monthly and may attend staff meetings to listen and learn.
Goals of the Member Advisory Council:
- Ensure care is designed with the patient and family at the center.
- Confirm care is responsive to patient/member’s needs, priorities, goals and values.
- Create an integrated model where patients/members serve as advisors to enhance quality and safety, redesign care system, and educate health care professionals and staff on the patient’s care experience and opportunities.
- Integrate Patient and Family Centered Care (PFCC) principles and practices into the care experience for members.
Patient and Family Centered Care
Members, patients and their families are at the center of everything we do. The goal of Patient and Family Centered Care is to create true partnerships between patients, families and health care practitioners that will lead to better outcomes and enhance the overall care experience.
The Four Core Concepts of Patient and Family Centered Care:
- Dignity and Respect: Listen to/honor patient/family perspectives and choices.
- Information Sharing: Communicate and share complete/unbiased information with members/patients and families in ways that are affirming and useful.
- Participation: Patients and families are encouraged and supported in participating in care and decision-making at the level they choose.
- Collaboration: Patients and families are included on an organization-wide basis.
Become a Member Advisory Council Member
We believe the best way to care is to listen — and learn. We invite you to be part of a group actively engaged in improving care. As a Member Advisor Council member, you will:
- Partner with Kaiser Permanente leaders, physicians, staff, members, patients, and their families in the design and delivery of care.
- Ensure the voice of patients and families is front and center in all decisions.
- Help to enhance the care experience and environment for members, patients and visitors.
How often does the Member Advisory Council meet?
Our Fremont and San Leandro Medical Centers councils each meet monthly. Council members may attend staff meetings to listen and learn. Members also attend Quality Council meetings and may participate in other committees, councils and forums. This is designed to incorporate the “voice of the member.”
Our councils tackle a variety of small and large opportunities which may include feedback and suggestions on care delivery, member-facing communication (signs, flyers and brochures) and facility areas (reception and other spaces).
Member Advisory Councils:
- Member Advisory Council
- Maternal Child Health Member Advisory Council
- Teen Advisory Council – Coming soon!
How to Participate:
If you are interested in participating, please contact Nicole Rodrigues: