< Back

Adult Protective Services

Each county in California has an Adult Protective Services (APS) agency, which provides assistance to elderly and dependent adults who are functionally impaired, unable to meet their own needs, and who are victims of abuse, neglect, or exploitation. The county APS investigates reports of abuse of elderly and dependent adults who are living in private homes, hotels, acute care hospitals and health clinics, adult day care and social day care centers.

Reports of abuse that occur in a nursing home, a board and care home, a residential facility for the elderly, or at a long term care facility are the responsibility of the Ombudsman’s office which is administered by the California Department of Aging.

In addition to investigating and evaluating reports of abuse, APS staff provides or coordinates support services, such as counseling, money management, referrals for conservatorship, and advocacy. They also provide information and education to other agencies and the public about reporting requirements and other responsibilities under the elder and dependent adult abuse reporting laws.

If you have questions regarding making an abuse report, contact your local APS office, which is listed in the government section of the white pages, or contact Oakland Kaiser Social Services.