Pediatric ICU (Oakland)
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
Welcome to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.
Your child has been admitted to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) because he or she requires specialized, intensive medical and nursing care. A team of doctors, nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists, dietitians, social workers and child life specialists will work together to care for your child. A chaplain can also be called upon your request. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns about your child’s care.
Our goal at Kaiser Permanente is to take the best possible care of your child. You can help us do that by familiarizing yourself to the following information.
Creating A Healing Environment
We realize it takes more than medical treatment to help your child recover from an illness or surgery. In general, children and teens need help to cope with stressful situations, opportunities to express their feelings about being in the hospital and activities to give them a sense of normalcy and control.
We can offer your child:
- Videos, game systems, books and books on tape, magazines, puzzles, board games
- Arts and crafts
- CD players (we have a collection of relaxing music and music for young children)
- Infant toys and mobiles
- Relaxation techniques (i.e. guided imagery)
Our health care team strives to offer your child:
- A calm, quiet and comforting environment
- Respect and honesty
- Age-appropriate explanations
- Opportunities for choice, when appropriate
- Clear, age-appropriate and non-threatening language
- Participation in his/her own care, when appropriate
Again, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns about your child’s plan of care. And please utilize this website to get to know your child’s team.