Pediatric Hospitalists (Oakland)
Welcome to Pediatrics Hospital Medicine
The Pediatric Hospitalists team would like to take this opportunity to introduce ourselves and provide you with information that will make you and your child’s stay with us as safe and comfortable as possible.
We have a multifaceted team that includes pediatricians, pediatric nurses, pediatric residents, medical students, nutritionists, social workers, child life specialists and patient care coordinators, all committed to providing state of the art pediatric hospital care. It is our goal to provide high quality, personalized medical services to our patients when they are hospitalized. We will also strive to achieve open communication with parents and the patient’s primary care provider to involve them in treatment and diagnostic decisions.
Schedule and Duties
Each week there will be one staff pediatrician (the “Pediatric Attending”). This pediatrician discusses all hospitalized children every day with the ward team to assure that medical care is coordinated and patient needs are promptly addressed.
Oakland Medical Center is privileged to be a training facility for pediatric residents. Residents are physicians who have completed medical school and are seeking further training in the specialty of pediatrics. It is the staff pediatrician’s responsibility to supervise the pediatric residents regarding care of all hospitalized children so that they can provide patient care during evening, night and early morning hours. Be assured that there is always a staff pediatrician available in the hospital should you have questions or concerns.
Again, we want your child’s stay to be as safe and pleasant as possible. We have created an inpatient pediatric service that provides experienced and comprehensive care for children requiring hospitalization. We have the availability of many pediatric sub-specialists including experts in infectious diseases, pulmonology, neurology, endocrinology, nephrology, gastroenterology, cardiology, general surgery and surgical subspecialties. Our program provides a child friendly environment as well as modern treatment modalities. Our team of physicians and health professionals is committed to providing you and your child with a positive experience and the best possible health outcomes.
Because of Kaiser Permanente’s commitment to comprehensive care, be assured that we will make every effort to inform your child’s primary care physician of the care provided while in the hospital so that she can continue to monitor your child’s progress as an outpatient. In addition, we provide a smooth transition between inpatient and outpatient care by scheduling a visit for your child with his/her primary care physician soon after discharge.
To get the most out of your child’s inpatient stay:
- Please feel free to bring copies of any important outside records that might be helpful.
- Please bring a list of your child’s current medications and their doses or the actual pill bottles themselves.
- Never be afraid to ask questions! The hospital environment can be overwhelming but each and every individual that you encounter throughout the day is there to do the best they can to care for your child. You can ask to speak to a physician at any time of day and we will do our best to come to the bedside as soon as we can.
- Always advocate for your child! If there is any information you have that you feel will help in the care of your child, please speak up and let a member of the care team know.
- Please let us know as soon as possible if you have a language preference other than English. We have interpreter services available at all times and would like to communicate about your child’s medical condition in whatever language makes you most comfortable.