The mission of the EB Home Health department is to provide a transition from acute illness to independence at home. The East Bay Home Health agency includes Oakland and Richmond.
Patients must meet all of the following criteria to be admitted to and receive on-going Home Health services:
- The patient is an active member of Kaiser Foundation Health Plan.
- The patient receives care in a residence within Kaiser Permanente Service Area. Except for a hospital or nursing facility, any place that you make your home is considered your residence.
- The patient, because of illness or injury, is confined to the home (homebound).
Please Note: Transportation problems are not reasons we can use in deciding homebound status. For example, being unable to drive or not having a car or a ride does not qualify a person for Home Health services.
- The home is a safe and appropriate setting in meeting the patient’s needs and providing the Home Health services.
- A physician determines that the care is medically necessary, skilled, and provided by a registered nurse or therapist.
- The patient and the caregivers are willing to participate in the plan of care and work toward specific treatment goals.
- All medical care is received under the direction of a plan physician or podiatrist.
- Please note: custodial care is not a home care benefit.
Home Health Services
Skilled Nursing Care
- Teaching and training patients and caregivers to manage care safely and independently.
- Provide short term/intermittent skilled care and teaching to the patient and/or caregiver.
Please note: blood draws are not considered skilled nursing care.
- Planning and Coordinating health care needs with physicians and other professional caregivers in out-patient and community clinics.
- Provides physical, occupational and speech therapy treatments designed to develop and restore muscle and joint function; enhance safety in the home; improve self-care abilities; and/or develop communication skills.
Please note: performance of routine ROM exercises is not considered skilled care.
- Assists with referrals to community and Kaiser Permanente resources and provides counseling related to the impact of illness or long term care.
Please note: Social service needs alone without the primary skilled services of nursing and/or rehab is not covered.
Home Health Aide
- Provides short-term assistance with bathing for personal care needs while receiving nursing and/or therapy services.