Successful Habits of Gastric Bypass Patients
Check those habits you have difficulties with!
Please familiarize yourself with the following guidelines:
- Eat three small meals per day – NO snacking between meals
- Concentrate on 3 kinds of food – Protein, Protein, and Protein (fish, poultry, meat, cheese, eggs, seafood, etc.)
- Avoid coarse roughage foods – coconut, cabbage, lettuce, skins of fruit (Wait 6 months to try pork and steak, remember to chew well!)
- Eat slowly – Enjoy your food.
- Sit down to eat your meals – (Eat at a table and not in front of the TV)
- Cut food up well and chew thoroughly – 30 times per bite.
- Drink fluids before eating solids – Do not drink with meals.
- Avoid sweets, candy, juices and high-calorie beverages. (These may cause “dumping” and will prevent you from losing weight.)
- Each meal should be 75% protein; eat protein first and vegetables and fruit last.
- Stop eating when you feel full.
- Take supplements everyday – refer to supplement guidelines in your packet.
- Take sublingual Vitamin B12 twice a week or get a B12 injection every 2-3 months.
- Maintain a regular exercise program.
- Avoid alcohol. (High in calories, absorbed very quickly, and may lead to ulcers)
- Avoid carbonated beverages. (Leads to stretching of pouch and ulcers)
- Avoid caffeine. (Appetite stimulant and may lead to ulcers)
- Get regular follow up visits with your Primary Care Provider.